FOOD: A SOUP AGAINST THE COLD12:31:00
With the cold season in full swing and most of us only feeling hot due to high fever, january is the perfect time for delicious hot soups to soothe both your throat and your soul. I am currently sniffling and coughing and wallowing in self pity, but this delicious Ginger Sweet Potatoe Soup made me feel a lot better and has also been roomie approved so here is the easy peasy recipe:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- half an onion
- a generous piece of ginger
- coconut oil (you can also use other oil, but the coconut gives the soup a very nice twist)
- vegetable broth
- salt, pepper, curry
- fresh coriander (or cilantro whichever side of the pond you´re from)
How to make it:
1. Chop the onion, the garlic and the ginger into small pieces.
2. Cut the sweet potatoes and the carrots into cubes.
3. Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in coconut oil.
4. Add the chunks of sweet potato and carrots and fry them lightly.
5. Pour a about half a liter of water over the vegetables and add the broth.
6. Let the whole thing boil for about 20 minutes. Feel sorry for yourself as now you do not only have a cold but also have to wait for your food.
7. Use a hand blender to get the soup to a nice mushy consistency and add salt, pepper and loads of curry.
8. Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves and enjoy!
If you do not feel better after this soup I will personally come and make you tea*
*if you are in Brighton and reachable by bus