LOVE YOUR BODY BETTER: TEX MEX SWEET POTATO SALAD18:07:00
This salad will give your body everything it needs from complex carbs (sweet potato), to lean protein (corn, beans and if you eat meat chicken), healthy fats (avocado) and vitamins (salad tomatoe and cucumber), while being one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. It will keep you full for hours without making you feel heavy or bloated.
We will use homemade Salsa and Guacamole without any added oil, Greek yogurt instead of Sour Cream and chicken instead of minced meat. This will safe you a lot of saturated fats and also a lot of the added salt traditional Tex Mex food can have so this might be a healthier alternative if you love mexican food as much as I do. I used a fajita spice mix, which is definitely not clean or unprocessed, but I just really like the taste and I never seem to get the seasoning right myself. I just generally believe that if you are eating healthy most of the time then eating something unhealthy when you feel like it will not kill you. It´s all about balance!
The recipe for my salsa and the guacamole will go up in a few days, but it was just too much to fit it all in one post.
Obviously I am not a nutritionist or doctor, just a girl who likes to cook and follows things she has learned about healthy eating which are definitely not always scientific facts.
If you make this salad please, please take a picture and use the hashtag #loveyourbodybetter on Instagram or Twitter, because I plan on doing a round up post at the end of every month and would love to include your creations. Also if you would like any special kind of recipes or posts in this series, please let me know in the comments! And now let´s finally get cooking:
1 sweet potato
1/2 red onion
1 tbsp fajita spice
1 chicken breast
3 tbsp of sweet corn
3 tbsp of kidney beans
1 gem lettuce
1 tbsp of Greek yogurt
1 tbsp of Salsa
1 tbsp of Guacamole
Spices: salt, pepper, paprika, cumin
1. Cut your sweet potato into thin slices, a bit like chips. This will make the cooking process a lot quicker and the end result will be nice and crispy.
2. Spread the chips on a baking sheet, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, paprika and cumin and then pop them in the oven at 200 °C. They will need about 20 minutes, which gives you enough time for everything else.
3. Chop your onion and your chicken breast into little cubes.
4. Coat the chicken with fajita spice and a little olive oil and then fry in a pan on medium heat until the chicken is a little brown.
5. Add the onions, the corn and your beans and add salt and pepper. Let this cook on low heat until the chicken is done.
6. Chop up your gem lettuce and cucumber.
7. Layer the baked sweet potato chips, the lettuce, the cucumber and then your chicken-corn-beans mixture.
8. Top with your own homemade salsa and guacamole (my recipes will be up this week!) or a store bought alternative, a tablespoon of greek yogurt and a sprinkle of coriander and dig in!